Rope Swing

When we went to Hawaii like 10 years ago we found this super janky rope swing in the middle of a forest at the top of this AMAZING waterfall. Cody lost his glasses there. Shame. But I didn't go on it because you had to cross this river with a strong current and let's face it, I would have chickened out at the top anyway. I had another chance this weekend! After an awesome camping trip we drove out to Great Falls VA and took a 10 minute walk to the banks of the Potomac where some blessed soul has fixed a rope swing to a tree leaning over the cool river. So I went in with every intention of jumping but quickly lost my dedication to it when I imagined all the diverse injuries I could and most likely would sustain. I came out with minimal bumps I am happy to report. I went twice and flew into the shallow water feet first both times. I was working on not getting rope burn, not keeping my feet up. The photo below is an action shot of my first jump but does not include the scream that accompanied it. 


Here's another picture for some context:


There was a nice ladder nailed onto the tree for ease of access. There were also a bunch of underaged drinkers and smokers. Can't believe I missed out on the experience in high school. In the middle of the river were a bunch of Yale looking college age kids, also with beers, just chillin' in the surely polluted water. Oh how they need a good beach. 

3 comments:

  1. hello there,
    iv lived next to great falls for 24 years now. my friends and i have ventured up an down the potomic discovering new oasises. for at least ten of those years now iv been looking for a rope swing on this river, but somehow it hasnt crossed my path yet. could you please tell me where this is, or even general area if your not sure, i would greatly apriciate it. regardless i hope you get to see more of the area, its worth it. thanks :)
    lindsay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm actually not certain at all where it is, just that it's by great falls. We drove through a neighborhood and ended at a dead end with a service gate. There was a forest trail marked with a map of the area and we just followed it to the left then went across a small footbridge and up the bank a little ways. Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Hi, I believe that the trail to the rope swing starts at the end of Seneca Rd. Good luck!!

      Delete