Sleeptime Interlude

Ok friends. This morning at 5 am I was awaken by bright flash of lightening, the loud tear of thunder, and a torrential downpour. I am usually the person who completely misses the HUGE thunderstorm during the night but this one was so loud it was hard to miss. Using my super scientific "Mississippi Count Rule" I deduced that the storm was happening literally right above us since the thunder and lightening was virtually simultaneous for much of the storm. And it wasn't a sporadic storm like you had to try really hard to listen and hear, it was constant for a solid 20 minutes.

The sound was amazing. I've never been in a storm that long before so I've never been able to listen for so long. It really sounds like the sky is tearing in half; like it's a thick and layered piece of butcher paper that just gets ripped and you're an ant right on the side of the rip so the sound is literally larger than life. Then it morphs into a crack or clap that I would compare to smacking two 2x4s together. Follow that up with a huge boom that, when reduced to a human level of measurement, can only come out of a very large man. I realize that makes no sense but if there were someone in the sky making this noise then it would be a very large, tall, muscular yet fat man wearing suspenders and slippers with a button down shirt and partially balding just letting the boom start at his feet letting it fly out.

Dixon and I went down to the library to try and get a better view of the sky but it had mostly passed by then. But we had fun running through the halls. I thought today that it would have been an excellent time for large scale hide and go seek either inside with the lights off with only the lightening to reveal the hidden, or outside where the possibility of fatality rises at the same rate as excitement.

I thought this was an appropriate time for Mother Nature to give this great storm to the district as it is Independence Day weekend. I like to think it was her way of putting her own fireworks show for us; it was her way of celebrating America with us.

This was obviously a significant event in my life because this was so long. But just read it in sections, paragraph by paragraph. Maybe have someone read it to you or go make a sandwich for an intermission.

No comments:

Post a Comment