Lost Story

So, for the first 3 weeks I was here I got lost EVERY day. To say the least, it was frustrating; for I have never been one to get lost before. I'm no human compass, a moral compass yes, but nothing that points to the magnetic north or anything, but I'm good enough. Every day I went into the metro, came out at some location, and had NO idea which way was the right way. I walk a block or two and if the numbers are going the wrong way then I turn around. NBD. But then! I went to the gym before my first day of work, walked with some people, left a little early and alone so I had to find my own way home. Get running so I can make it on time, run 3 blocks in what I'm confident is the right direction, talk to a security guard, run 3 blocks back in the real right direction, find Pennsylvania Ave., then finally make it home. Same day. Still the First day of work. Get out of the metro and look for the Capitol to get my bearings with no luck and while working my very hardest to not look like a newbie I set off confidently in what I think is the right direction. Walk 3 blocks in the wrong direction, totaling 6 blocks extra in new shoes when I find the office. By the time I get to work my heals are literally bleeding and those physical scars have just recently healed though the emotional scars are still a part of me. To leave this with a happy ending: Today a group of people asked me where Dupont was and I gave the precise and clear directions. Such a local.

No comments:

Post a Comment